Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu Plus

We ditched the cable at least four years ago and never looked back. For most of this time my go to services I used for watching movies and television shows has been Netflix and Hulu Plus. I use each for certain shows and movies. Scott likes Netflix mostly with a little Crackle thrown in occasionally. He loves documentaries and television shows that revolve around history, science, etc. Grace watches very little TV (by her choice) and if she watches something it is usually on her kindle on Netflix or Youtube. I am the true Television addict in the family. At any given time I am probably following 10 -15 different shows. These 10-15 shows are spread out over Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu Plus. Recently though for me, Netflix has gone to the bottom of my list simply because I have found a treasure trove of shows to watch on Amazon Prime. Shows like "The Good Wife", "Grimm", and "The Shield" I was getting through DVD from Netflix but discovered that Amazon Prime has them to watch on instant. Yesterday I decided to check and see what else Amazon had available and to my surprise found some shows from HGTV like Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, House Hunters, and The Pioneer Woman. That was the one thing I really missed without having cable or satellite TV anymore - HGTV and Food Network. Although with joining them gym I can watch both of those while walking on the treadmill. I guess what I am trying to get across is the fact that Amazon Prime might really be giving Netflix a run for the money soon. If I had to choose between the two right now it would be very tough. We pay $7.99 a month for Hulu Plus, $79.00 a year for Amazon Prime (mostly for free shipping), and $24.00 a month for Netflix (allows us three DVDs at a time and three devices for instant at a time).

2 comments:

A Candle to Read By said...

We do the same. Ditching cable was one of our best decisions. I love AP, too. I hope they will continue adding more classic tv shows.

Karen said...

We didn't have cable for 2 years but recently got it. I too had Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus and Netflix just streaming. I didn't know Amazon had those shows! I will have to check it out. We have canceled Hulu Plus since getting cable and I am trying to decide about Amazon. I LOVE the 2 day shipping!!